Saturday, April 14, 2007

16 years ago today...

16 years ago it was a Sunday. It was the evening service and we were sitting in the back row of the balcony at First Baptist in Danville. There was "Mr. Walther" and "Mrs. Walther", that annoying (at-the-time) little Jared, and then Audrea and I. We were sitting there trying to pay attention to the sermon (yeah, right) and I was fidgeting in my seat. I kept looking over at her and trying to open my mouth to whisper a question to her. I remember wondering if she could see my lips moving trying to spit out some words...

It had been only a few weeks since we started talking more together. Her most recent "boyfriend" and I were pretty good friends (who got in trouble way too much with the other brother, but that's for another post someday). I hadn't really noticed her so much before. I was a sophomore (and yes, a very wise fool) and she was in junior high.

Her mom and my mom frequently worked in the nursery together. One Sunday morning things were pretty hectic in the nursery and both of our mothers had asked us to help. After a while, I began to connive my way into working in the nursery when Audrea was going to be there. And I remember a specific time sitting in the rocking chair holding some newborn and looking across at her thinking, "You know, she is really a pretty girl. She doesn't deserve to be with that other guy!"

At the time, my music interests were about 3 decades ahead of my age. I had a strange interest in southern gospel and was enthralled with listening to groups like The Cathedrals and Gold City. Every year, the local southern gospel group (Homeward Bound) had a big concert deal at Danville High. This was going to be my second year to go and the strangest thought occurred to me--I want to take a girl to the concert. After all, girls my age love southern gospel, right? (I'm still not sure why it didn't occur to me that most of the people who like that music were about 40 to 50 years older than my 15!) My first thought was towards Audrea. I got up the nerve and called her house and asked her mom if Audrea could go to a concert with me. "Mrs. Walther" informed me very quickly that I would have to ask her father. So I got the gumption up again later that night to ask her dad. His reply: "I don't think so." So that didn't pan out. My next option was my friend, Jon's sister--Sally Zajicek. I feel bad because I can't really remember whether she said yes or not...

Anyway... a week or so went by and a youth activity came up that we were able to go together. Then a Sandy Patty concert came up (Oh yeah, I had wild crazy music tastes back then! I was an outright rebel--that's for sure.) This time it was her parents who asked me if I'd like to go along with their family and Audrea's friend, Carmen Taylor. Well, of course you know what my answer was!

I believe it was the Sunday evening after that Sandy Patty concert that we found ourselves sitting in the balcony together during that exciting sermon. Actually the only thing on my brain was those deep poetic and romantic words I had rehearsed all afternoon. I kept repeating them to myself in my head and imagining myself asking her. I was the epitome of lovesick. So it must have only been a few minutes into the sermon and only a few silent practice runs that I was able to begin my eloquent and heart-capturing question:

"Will you go with me?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too funny, the first time I'm talked in to google my name, and this story comes up Paul! I remember this and can't believe it's been that LONG ago!! I don't remember what I said either- God's sovereignty bring you two awesome friends together!! Love you guys!! Happy 16 yrs! Sally, Kirby, Jonathan and Matthew