Monday, June 25, 2007

The Epitome of the Nerdy Father

Okay, I'll admit it: I am a complete nerd. Last night at 10:30 pm, Audrea asked me how simple it would be for me to write a computer program that times contractions. I immediately jumped at the opportunity! While I didn't make it sophisticated by any means, I did spend way too much time on it (about 4 hours), but it was fun anyway.

I designed it with the middle-of-the-night in view--so the program takes up your whole screen with a black background and does not require you to use a mouse. When a contraction starts, you simply hit the space bar. When it's done, you hit any other key. If you fall asleep and forget to hit a key to stop timing it, you just hit the space bar on the next contraction. Pretty simple, but is a heck of a lot easier than using a timer that you can't read in the middle of the night and trying to keep track of it in your head or on paper!

I realize that most readers here may not care hoot about it, but if you're interested in seeing it, you can install it on your computer. You must first have the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installed. If you don't, the install program will prompt you to do that. To install, click the "Install" button on the following link:
http://home.comcast.net/~fuller_paul/ContractionsTimer/index.htm

(P.S. This is an as-is program... I'm not providing any help if it doesn't work on your computer!)

No comments: