Friday, April 18, 2008

Midwest Earthquake?!

UPDATE: The quake actually originated from the Wabash Valley Seismic Zone which is much closer to our hometown of Danville, Illinois.

At 5:36 this morning, Audrea and I heard a rumbling and experienced our bed shaking. My first thought was that the kids bunkbeds downstairs fell apart. I ran downstairs and checked on the kids and then on down to the basement and everything seemed normal. When I got into bed, Audrea wondered if we had just experienced an earthquake.

Well, we just looked at the news this morning, and we did, in fact, experience a 5.2 scale earthquake. According to the USGS, the earthquake centered around Mt. Carmel, Illinois. What a trip!!

Here in the Midwest, this is quite the rarity. I know the last time I experience one was in the late 1980's. I seem to remember after that there was quite a bit of scare about whether we would ever have a large scale earthquake since we are right over the New Madrid Seismic Zone. For some rather entertaining footage, check this out.



1 comment:

Jim Peet said...

Glad you are OK!