Thursday, February 05, 2009

Never too young to guard your heart

(This post is written by Paul & Audrea's friend, Dawn)

I have the most amazing opportunity every week to teach young kids about God and His Word. They are always attentive and eager to learn and somehow remember most everything I teach them. It is a HUGE encouragement to me to see how much they learn and remember. I am blessed every week with 3 beautiful little girls, Makayla, Sabrina, and Elayna. There have been though, many a Wednesday nights or Sunday mornings where somehow I know I am at church, but I feel like Art Linkletter or Bill Cosby are present filming a secret episode of "Kids Say the Darndest Things." We added a friend last night to our Wednesday night events. Taylor, a boy, who is in Kindergarten, joined my beautiful girls. We went through our normal activities of Play-dough, coloring books and crayons, and a short Bible Story. I brought in some Kids Worship music last night to play while we ate our dinner and colored. After class, we had a bit before the kids got picked up, so I proceeded to turn the music on and they all decided to dance around and enjoy the music. They were all laughing and smiling and enjoying each others company. Sabrina decided to dance with her sister Elayna and Elayna was more than willing to enjoy that with her. Well, Taylor, my only boy, decides he wants to dance with Elayna as well, so when Sabrina finished, he made his way to Elayna and took her hands to dance. Elayna stops, plants her feet to the floor, quits smiling and laughing, and yells "NO ROMANCE BEFORE MARRIAGE!!!!!" She dropped Taylors hands and went on dancing by herself enjoying the music. I mean seriously, where is Bill Cosby and Art Linkletter when these things happen anyway? :)

3 comments:

Audrea said...

I'd just like to say for the record, my kids seem to draw lines more strictly than I've taught them. I guess I've not noticed this opposite extreme to the adage, "you give them an inch, they take a mile." I'm never quite sure what to do with them when they say things like this because our culture is way too casual in its approach to sex, modesty, and relationships--sadly, sometimes within the church. This makes it extremely confusing and difficult to navigate--for them and me. So while, in one sense, I'm glad to see them heading in this direction, I also see a real danger in them becoming self-righteous prudes. So pray for us as we laugh and learn along this parenthood journey, as they keep us ever humble and remind us how much we--and they--need Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Like mother..like daughter!
I remember a time when young Audrea (5 yrs old) was watching her younger brother (2yrs) act up and cause mischief to the point of their mother (my wife) looking at the brother and saying "Jared, shape up! I could just shake the devil out of you!", to which Audrea replied.."Throw him a VERSE Mom, throw him a VERSE!..John 3:16! That will do it!!!"
Teach a child in the way they should act and when they are old they shall not depart from it.

Dawn said...

I am so glad that I was able to witness this moment in Elayna's life. It brought joy to my heart! :)