Tuesday, August 05, 2008

How Much Did Christ Endure On the Cross?

As I was thinking this morning about the Gospel while reading A Gospel Primer for Christians, I began thinking about the wrath of Christ endured on the cross. I deserve the wrath of God put on me for all my sin: every sin I've ever committed, every sin I'll commit today, and every sin I'll commit in the future. However, because of the faith that God put in me to hope in Christ alone, I have been justified by grace alone: Every single one of those sins have received their just penalty. I cannot mess up my position before God by wallowing around in the mud of sin today because He has already punished me for all those sins vicariously through Jesus Christ, my Proxy. The verdict that will be rendered to me on judgment day is innocent—the penalty (a blood sacrifice of infinite worth) has been paid for me.

Now here's the thought that sunk in pretty well this morning: The atonement on the cross covered all my sins and sealed my pardon on judgment day—in other words, my forgiveness was actually (for theologians, I realize that's where the rub is: actual versus potential, but I don't think that potential atonement has any ground to stand on Biblically) accomplished on the cross. Given that proposition, we have only two options in understanding who Jesus died for on the cross: If we say that Jesus died for every single human being, then we have to say that since Christ accomplished my forgiveness on the cross, then He accomplished forgiveness for everyone on the cross. If that's true, then on judgment day, everyone will be given a release pardon. Now if you think you can get a universal pardon out of texts like Revelation 20:15 then by all means, go ahead and believe that! (But personally I think you'd have to be smoking something illegal to get that kind of interpretation! J) Or, our only other logical option will be that Christ accomplished forgiveness for all those whom God predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son.

To put it simply:

Christ's work on the cross releases someone from their just penalty.
All will benefit from Christ's work on the cross.
Therefore, all will be released from their just penalty.

OR

Christ's work on the cross releases someone from their just penalty.
Only a certain number will benefit from Christ's work on the cross.
Therefore, only a certain number will be released from their just penalty.

If you're a little perturbed by this (that's a normal feeling!), you may be thinking, "That doesn't seem right, Paul. I don't agree with either of those." Here is likely what you believe then:

Christ's work on the cross made it possible for someone to be released from their just penalty.
Only a certain number will benefit from what was made possible for them on the cross.
Therefore, only a certain number will be released from their just penalty.

You wouldn't be heretical for thinking this. It's actually what most people I grew up with believe. For them, the "made possible" part is changed to "actualizes" once a person puts their faith in Christ. However, I cannot stand by that argument because of texts like Acts 20:28 where Paul says to the elders at Ephesus as he was leaving Miletus, "Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood" The work of Christ actually obtained for Him the Church of God through the shedding of His blood. He actually paid the price.

This brings such comfort to my soul because it helps me know that my justification is not a once-in-the-past event. My justification is a past-now-and-future event that is as sure as God's promises. That means that I can never ever step out of God's favor. God will never be angry (in a wrathful disposition towards me) with me because He already poured out His wrath upon me via my Proxy. It does not mean that God is not saddened, deeply, when I sin. But it does mean that He will always look on me with lovingkindness because He will always look on His Son with lovingkindness since I died with Christ and have been resurrected with Him to walk in newness of life! Rejoice in your salvation!

Text not available
The everlasting righteousness By Horatius Bonar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen Brother,

Amen