Monday, December 10, 2007

Bible Reading Plan: Southern Seminary Style

This post by Tony Kummer at Southern Seminary is a fantastic idea!

via Said At Southern Seminary by Tony Kummer on 12/9/07


Who is up for a challenge over winter break?

My favorite Seminary isn't offering any classes I need this January, so I've been looking for a study project. It occurred to me that I could read the entire Bible in a month if I maintained the Southern Seminary reading pace over the winter break. I like to think of it as Bible Reading Southern Seminary Style.

I took the page numbers from my ESV Reference Bible and the time required from my Max McLean ESV audio Bible. You can modify these numbers for your favorite Bible translation.

  • NT 18 hours (1,080 minutes)– ESV 279 pages
  • OT 57 hours (3,420 minutes) – ESV 968 pages
  • January has 31 days
  • December 10th – January 31st has 53 days

Read Through the Entire Bible in January

  • Read 35 minutes or 9 pages of NT per day
  • Read 111 minutes or 32 pages of OT per day
  • So, by spending only 2 hours and 26 minutes per day, 41 pages, you can read through the entire ESV Bible in January.

Start Now and Read It All by January 31st

  • You can add 22 days if you start on December 10th for a total of 53 days.
  • Read 21 minutes or 5 ½ pages of NT per day
  • Read 54 ½ minutes or 18 ½ pages of OT per day
  • So, by spending only 1 hour and 16 minutes per day, 24 pages, you can read through the entire ESV Bible between now and February.
  • Just over 1 hour a day!

So what do you think? Are you up for the challenge?

  • You can do the Old Testament, New Testament or both
  • Leave a comment on this post to make it public
  • I'll create a forum post, linked from the top menu, for people to note their progress each week.

Note: There is a poll embedded within this post, please visit the site to participate in this post's poll.


No comments: